Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....

From: "Tim Clarke" <Tim(dot)Clarke(at)manifest(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....
Date: 2006-02-09 15:34:56
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ludek Finstrle [mailto:luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz]
> Sent: 09 February 2006 15:21
> To: Tim Clarke
> Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [ODBC] LATIN1/9 conversion....
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm not much experienced in encoding.

No problem, Ludek (Luf?) - thanks for replying :-)

> > You can clearly see my latin1 request followed shortly by
> the latin9. I
> > have examined the ODBC code and it looks like the culprit
> is a code page
> > of 1252.
>
> It could be interesting to see mylog output from Windows.

I'm not running Postgres on Windows, just have some 'doze clients.

> I don't understand well why it choose latin1 and then latin9.

Seems to be hardcoded in the ODBC driver? File

> Don't you specify 'set client_encoding to latin1' in DataSource
> settings?

Yup - you can see it in the log I originally sent - ODBC driver then
sends the latin9 request!

> I'm new developer since 08.01 version so please be patient with me.

Patience? Always :-)

> > Am I tracing this right? What do I do about? Suggestions, please!
>
> You could use way of unicode driver. It use UTF-8 so no error occurs
> with latin 1 x latin 9.
> It means you may use "PostgreSQL Unicode" driver instead of
> "PostgreSQL ANSI"

We have found that the euro symbol and other accented characters are not
correctly stored if we do that. This database is currently coming across
nightly from an Oracle database so I'll be able to switch to Unicode
once that transition is complete. Real soon now.

> To other developers:
> Another one user points to problems with win1252 -> Latin 9 mapping.
> It seems to me that Latin 9 isn't right default choise for win1252.
> What do you mean?
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

HTH