Re: Is it possible to start two instances of postgresql?

From: Nis Jorgensen <nis(at)superlativ(dot)dk>
To: kah_hang_ang(at)toray(dot)com(dot)my
Cc: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to start two instances of postgresql?
Date: 2006-06-15 08:15:02
Lists: pgsql-performance
kah_hang_ang(at)toray(dot)com(dot)my wrote:

> both of the two database are live but use for two different web app.
> my company don't want to spend more to buy a new server, so then I think of
> to implement both under the same server and one instance..
> but then my superior don't want to do that way.
>  they want to implement two databases in one server but if one of the
> database down it will not affect the other, so that's why I need to have
> two instances.

We are currently running your suggestion (two instances of PG) in a
production server, with no obvious problems attributable to the setup
(we have seen some performance problems with one system, but those are
likely caused by bad db/application design).

In our case the two systems are running different minor versions
(although we are planning to migrate them both to the latest 7.4.x).

/Nis