API changes in patch release

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: dallas(dot)morlock(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: API changes in patch release
Date: 2006-05-23 07:03:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The world is not perfect and I know that you are normally very
restrictive in what is back-patched from head into bug-fix branches. The
8.1.4 release however, did introduce a problem. You changed the API
function inv_open() with the comment "Revise large-object access
routines to avoid running with CurrentMemoryContext".

This change will force me to a) introduce patch level sensitive
conditionals in the code, and b) have two PostgreSQL 8.1.n compatible
releases of PL/Java. One where n < 4 and another where n >= 4. I would
like to avoid this in the future if possible. API's should remain stable
during patch releases.

Having said that, I've been in the game long enough to know that Utopia
doesn't exist. You probably had a very good reason to break the
compatibility.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren