Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-20 08:57:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> apt-get install postgresql-8.1 postgresql-contrib-8.1
>>
>> Voila! Tsearch installed at your fingertips. What else were you
>> expecting?
>
> I expect this to be one package and I expect this to be what is pushed
> as the default package on all platforms. If someone just sat in an pgsql
> talk (or even a talk that mentions pgsql), has read an article, picked
> up a book .. this is what he should be downloading and installing.

> If PostgreSQL pushes FooSQL as its "packaged solution" at all
> opportunities I am sure it would quickly get into the heads of people
> and if done in a concerted effort along with the corporate sponsors it
> could provide for a huge marketing opportunity and a slew of articles
> from the press. But that is a topic for another list.

maybe the package should read: postgresql-heavy
postgresql-complete or even as you seem to suggest: postgresql
where the other parts are postgresql-clients, postgresql-server
postgresql-contrib and so on.

Beware, however, if "complete" means with gui clients, not
all people would be happy if you pull X and friends to their
unix servers :-) So whatever is in "complete" should depend
on the target platform.

I think the naming schema of the debian packages go in the
right direction - maybe this can be harmonized along the
distributions?

Regards
Tino Wildenhain