Re: Toward A Positive Marketing Approach.

From: Ned Lilly <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
To: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Toward A Positive Marketing Approach.
Date: 2006-05-19 17:25:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
I might not have been clear in my earlier post.

OpenMFG, the ERP system, has run on PostgreSQL from day one.  It's the ONLY database we run on.  OpenMFG is not free software, but we have a source code license that accepts and encourages community contributions (of which there have been many).  See www.openmfg.com for details on the product.

We also recently spun up a new community website at www.openmfg.org.  It's powered by the Drupal CMS, which Michael referenced in his original post.  Drupal is one of those projects that has a lot of MySQL-specific yuckiness in it.  Same thing for Mantis, a bug tracker that is infinitely more functional than the built-in bugtracker in Drupal.  So we've done three things for the .org website:

1) improved PostgreSQL support for Drupal
2) improved PostgreSQL support for Mantis
3) integrated Drupal and Mantis with a common PostgreSQL database

Sorry for any confusion.  We'll be releasing our patches at the main Drupal site soon, and there's also a forum on openmfg.org devoted to the changes we made.

Cheers,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly