Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "Matthew Wakeling" <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 21:51:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
> One thing I've been wondering about is what, exactly, is compressed in
> custom format.  Is it like a .tar.gz file, where the compression is a
> layer over the top, or are individual entries compressed?

Individual entries.  Eyeball examination of a dump file shows that we
only compress table-data entries, and don't for example waste time
firing up the compressor to process a function body.  It's possible
that it'd be worth trying to have some lower limit on the amount of
data in a table before we bother to compress it, but I bet that it
wouldn't make any difference on your databases ...