Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, BERTHOULE Emmanuel <pgdev(at)manberth(dot)homeip(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL
Date: 2006-03-30 05:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> ISTM that the first requirement is for a sane API that will handle the
> fact that HBA lines are ordered. Persistence in itself shouldn't be a
> big problem - we already do that with some shared tables, iirc.
>
> so we might have some functions like:
>
> insert_hba_rule(at_position int, connection_type text, username text,
> dbname text, cidr_host text, method text)
> move_hba_rule(from_position int, to_position int)
> delete_hba_rule(at_position int)
>
> Inventing new SQL syntax might make things a bit tougher.

I dont think it has to be ordered preliminary. Since we are
dealing with subnets and stuff - the ordering already lays
in the data - just like routing tables work: most specific
matches first.

I could think of a solution where pg_hba.conf just
overrides the database table (so you have a starting
point with empty table and/or reentry in case of a
mistake)

regards
Tino