Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-22 01:53:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:

> As a guy who administers a lot of systems, sometimes over the span of
> years,  I can not understate the need for "a" place for the admin to find
> what databases are on the machine and where they are located.
> Your assertion that this file would "only works for one root-made
> installation on a single filesystem layout" totally misses the point. The
> point is that me, a consultant, could find where the database is, easily.
> Given a large system, say it has 3 or 4 separate databases on it. How do
> you know which is what?

I think you make a good point. However you probably need to include the
location of the server software too (in case you run multiple versions).
This means there really needs to be a standard location (e.g
/usr/local/etc, /etc ...???? on win32) for this "cluster registration"
file, and you need to list (at minimum):

As Tom hinted, to be effective, this would need to be maintained by the
installation process, otherwise it is just another source of confusion
(like the Oracle site I went to last year where they had an incorrect
/etc/oratab - I wasted *hours* on that....)