Dropping sub-tables

From: Gan Uesli Starling <gan(at)starling(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dropping sub-tables
Date: 2006-02-01 22:59:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

Say I have a table for equipment having columns for ordinary
equipment. It also has sub-tables for things like sensors with
extra columns for specialty info.

I'd like to revert to having only the main table without any
sub-tables, but keep the rows from the sub-tables which are
common to the parent table.

If I drop the sub-tables, do I loose all if their rows, or
only the columns not shared with the parent table?

TIA,