Re: Proposal: new pg_dump options --copy-delimiter and

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: new pg_dump options --copy-delimiter and
Date: 2006-01-27 15:18:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Those who don't use it will never see it.

It does however add more maintenance to the code.

>> Furthermore, it's quite unclear why you'd use pg_dump at all to
>> generate a data file that you intend to feed to some other program.
>>

> In my case, it's about being copy/paste friendly.

David I don't get this... what are you copying from/to that would
wouldn't just script? If you throw into a script you can change
the delimiter on the fly using translation.

> Actually, it's not.  I'm attaching my preliminary patch, as I see I
> haven't explained it well enough.

Perhaps a test case that shows the productivity of it? I am not
arguing whether or not this is a useful feature but I don't
see the purpose.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/