Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 17:51:38
Lists: pgsql-www

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 14:17, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>
>>>My concerns with a plan like this are:
>>>A) I do not know linux as well as FreeBSD.
>>
>>80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why we need
>>more FreeBSD help.
>

> Which is why at least 2 more FreeBSD guys (Stefan and myself) were brought
> into the fold a while back. I can't speek for Stefan, but I have remained
> quite on this while I absorb the implementation specifics of the current
> setup.

very true - it is always a bit difficult to get familiar with foreign
boxes, but I think we are rapidly getting near a point where the current
setup is understood and can be managed, upgraded and (likely) improved.

>>>B) Can infrastructure be provided to allow for timely disaster
>>>recovery in the
>>>event of JD's hosting falling off the face of the earth, (much the
>>>same way
>>>the pg servers in panama fell off a while ago).
>>
>>We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the
>>infrastructure, and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right now with
>>Marc hosting, afaik. It is an issue we should be concerned with
>>regardless of who's hosting. That and backup. I've tried to address
>>what's happening (or not happening as I'm afraid) with backup before.
>

> Wether we have it today or not is one thing, but making it even harder to do
> in the future without having a solid plan is even more troublesome in my
> opinion.

fully agreed

> Along this note, I know resources have been made available by Stefan and the
> company he works for to help address this.

yep - I have offered in the past and that offer still stands for
hardware/hosting/bandwidth (including decent network monitoring, remote
console/power and people 24x7 on-call) for whatever the community might
need (backup-server in europe or whatever).
And no - I don't particularly care if the box is running FreeBSD or some
Linux-Distribution(we have all of them - and Solaris,AIX and OpenBSD too
- here and each of those has it's strengths and weaknesses).
It's just that the current setup works on FreeBSD and afaik is not
(unfixable) broken. Maybe we (I could do it if marc agrees) should just
try to rsync the running vm to the "new" box upgrade it inplace to fbsd6
start it up and test it and see what breaks.
If that works reasonably well we at least have a useful emergency plan
for NOW - independent of what happens(OS,Hosting or admin-wise) in the
"long" (1-2 month+) run.

Stefan