Re: Windows performance again

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Josep Maria Pinyol Fontseca <jmpinyol(at)endepro(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows performance again
Date: 2005-12-21 09:58:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
Josep Maria Pinyol Fontseca wrote:

> Linux box with psql version 7.2.1 versus Windows XP server:
>
> select * from <table>; -> 7 seconds aprox. to obtain a results.
> Network utilization: 100%
>
> Windows XP client box with psql version 8.1.1 versus Windows XP server:
>
> select * from <table>; -> 60 seconds aprox. to obtain a results!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Network utilization: 3%
>
> Windows XP server box with psql version 8.1.1 versus Windows XP server:
>
> select * from <table>; -> <1 seconds aprox. to obtain a results.
> Network utilization: 0%

It's *got* to be the network configuration on the client machine. I'd be
tempted to install ethereal on the linux box and watch for the
difference between the two networked sessions.

I'm guessing it might be something to do with TCP/IP window/buffer sizes
and delays on ACKs - this certainly used to be an issue on older MS
systems, but I must admit I thought they'd fixed it for XP.

If not that, could some firewall/security system be slowing network traffic?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd