Re: On-line backup

From: Diego Cattelan <netmaniac(at)libero(dot)it>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-line backup
Date: 2005-11-29 00:21:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> What exact commands are you using for both the backup and the restore?

- at boot time the linux box mount a smb share '/mnt/walarchive810'
- I have modified postgresql.conf parameter
     archive_command='cp -i /mnt/walarchive810/%f </dev/null'
- restarting postgres shows that wal files are correctly archived
- install postgres 8.1 on win 2000 server and test if work: ok
- stop postgres set postgres service start mode to manual
- connect to postgres on linux
- issue command select ps_start_backup('contab')
- used tar to archive the data folder as database.tar.gz
- select pg_stop_backup()
- copy database.tar.gz on windows

- now I have run a script wich updates a database in the linux box and
the wal files where correctly copied
- stop linux postgres
- on the windows machine:
    - rename folder data as windataoriginal
    - decompress database.tar.gz as data folder
    - modify data directory permission and ownership
    - create a recovery.conf into data directory with
restore_command='copy d:/shared/pgwal810/%f "%p"'
    - now starting postgres with the command pg_ctl start -D
d:\local\postgresql810\data give me 2 different errors:
       - unsupported locale (disappeared after changing locale from
'it_IT.UTF-8' to 'C')
       - FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

I have done all manually so I don't remember exactly all commands issued
for obtain this result.
Thank you very much