Re: translation question regarding guru hints

From: Miha Radej <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: translation question regarding guru hints
Date: 2005-10-24 13:34:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
hi!

Andreas Pflug wrote:
>> i'm also working on translating the hint files and tips.txt. i presume
>> tips.txt is utf-8 encoded? i saved it as utf-8 and slovenian characters
>> were displayed correctly.
>
> Please test it, I don't know what wxWidgets makes from it.
> Currently, I'm not even sure that we'd display a translated version
> correctly, pleast test that before spending useless effort.

so far as i have been able to test (2 win2k systems and 2 suse linux 9.3
systems) the tips from tips.txt are being displayed correctly if using
utf-8 encoding. so i guess i will leave it at that.

by the way, i also have some questions regarding this tip:
pgAdmin III is a completely new version of pgAdmin written in C++ using
the wxWindows framework to allow it to run on Windows and *nix systems.

do i keep "wxwidgets" in the translation or do i use "wxwindows"?

> Use the charset that fits your needs best (but use the same encoding
> throughout that directory, some files may be assembled to a single one
> at runtime). If it displays correctly in any standard browser, it should
> be good in pgAdmin as well.

that is what i thought, so i have prepared all the files, saved them as
latin2 and gave it a try. it was ok on linux and garbage on windows,
like i described in a previous post. so here also i will use html codes
until a complaint is received :)

attached is the slovenian tips.txt file. the guru hints will be arriving
shortly, i hope :)

thanks for your answers,
Miha