Re: Comparative performance

From: Joe <svn(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparative performance
Date: 2005-09-29 12:16:11
Lists: pgsql-performance
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> That actually depends a lot on *how* you use it. I've seen pg-on-windows
> deployments that come within a few percent of the linux performance.
> I've also seen those that are absolutely horrible compared.
>
> One sure way to kill the performance is to do a lot of small
> connections. Using persistent connection is even more important on
> Windows than it is on Unix. It could easily explain a difference like
> this.

I just tried using pg_pconnect() and I didn't notice any significant
improvement.  What bothers me most is that with Postgres I tend to see jerky
behavior on almost every page:  the upper 1/2 or 2/3 of the page is displayed
first and you can see a blank bottom (or you can see a half-filled completion
bar).  With MySQL each page is generally displayed in one swoop.

Joe