Re: pgsql: On Windows, when a file is deleted and another process still has

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: On Windows, when a file is deleted and another process still has
Date: 2009-09-10 16:59:21
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> FWIW, the checkpoint is mostly complete at that point, all that's left
> is non-critical cleanup. I admit it's still annoying.

"Mostly complete" isn't good enough, and it's much more than just an
annoyance --- failure to complete checkpoints will lead to disk full,
and other nasty things IIRC. We really need to deal with this.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that rat's nest in InstallXLogFileSegment
isn't right :-(. But we have to treat "file can't be renamed" as a
nonfatal condition on Windows.