Re: Advice on RAID card

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>,Michael Ben-Nes <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice on RAID card
Date: 2005-09-25 16:22:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

>     Even for RAID5 ? it uses a bit more CPU for the parity calculations.

I honestly can't speak to RAID 5. I don't (and won't) use it. RAID 5 is
a little brutal when under
heavy write load. I use either 1, or 10.

>     An advantage of software raid, is that if the RAID card dies, you
> have to  buy the same one ; whether I think that you can transfer a
> bunch of  software RAID5 disks to another machine if the machine
> they're in dies...

There is a huge advantage to software raid on all kinds of levels. If
you have the CPU then I suggest
it. However you will never get the performance out of software raid on
the high level (think 1 gig of cache)
that you would on a software raid setup.

It is a bit of a tradeoff but for most installations software raid is
more than adequate.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake