Re: Unicode support, first test results

From: Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode support, first test results
Date: 2005-09-03 11:34:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dave Page schrieb:

>>Hi Dave,
>>
>>just send it to me (the windows dll). Even though I just switched my
>>linux server to UTF-8. :-)
>>I'll test it with the old enviroment.
>>

>Attached.
>
>Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I didn't have much time to test the driver this week. But there are some
preliminary results:

I created a Latin1 database on my unicode linux server (with initdb
utf8. I have to repeat the same test with a local C initdb).

1. I can insert german characters (a, o, u Umlaut).

2. When my application reads them back, I get '?'. Funny!

3. I put the string SET CLIENT_ENCODING=UNICODE in the driver

4. Now I can read back my german characters. Puzzles me even more.

Next test:

1. I start with SET CLIENT_ENCODING=UNICODE in the driver

2. I try to insert characters with a german character

3. The server reports: ERROR: could not convert UTF-8 character 0x00f6
to ISO8859-1

So it seems, like some in the list already reported, that it just works
one way. I would assume, that the conversion in the driver works, but
somehow the conversion is not called properly. Can't we just put tags in
the driver for test purposes. So I know the driver isn't using unicode
at all.

Furthermore I couldn't get the driver working with unicode so far. It
seems that the wrong combination of conversions in both directions may
be a part of it. But more tests have to be done yet.

I will have more time to test the driver next week.

regards
Johann