Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL

From: Andrew Ford <A(dot)Ford(at)ford-mason(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 16:51:14
Lists: pgsql-docs
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I find this peculiar, considering this:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-start.html
>>
>> Now, perhaps the author's conclusion is just bogus but can anyone
>> think of
>> better ways in which we could ease people into PostgreSQL?
>>

> I think more than likely it just isn't obvious where the tutorial is.
> I just went to the website, I clicked documentation, no immediate
> mention of the tutorial. Then I click 8.0, where is the tutorial?
>
> Oh... it is in the beginning of the 1300 pages of documentation.

I think that the documentation should be split (back out) into separate
books -- tutorial, reference, release notes, etc.  It is too unwieldy as
it is.  The release notes at least should be separate -- I was rather
pissed off when I discovered that what I had printed out included
changes for releases I had no interest in.  If the documents have been
amalgamated to suit a publisher then I feel even more agrieved -- I
resent having to pay for padding and resent the waste of paper.   With a
duplex printer the documentation fills two binders; printed simplex it
would be more like four!

Andrew Ford
ford-mason.co.uk