Re: Missing functionality in ResultSetMetaData ?

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing functionality in ResultSetMetaData ?
Date: 2005-08-09 22:50:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> Ok, thanks, I see. However, from what I read in the thread the
> question in the mail that you referenced, as to why
> PGResultSetMetadata does not extend ResultSetMetadata, and as a result
> the getTableName method is mapped onto getBaseTableName, is still
> valid IMO. Especially if the information seems to be readily
> available. Would you consider this change for an upcoming release ?

Err, all I was suggesting in that mail was that PGResultSetMetadata
extend ResultSetMetaData so you can do this:

  PGResultSetMetadata md = (PGResultSetMetadata)rs.getMetaData();
  String baseName = md.getBaseTableName(...);
  String aliasName = md.getTableName(...);

Currently you can't do that because PGResultSetMetadata has no
getTableName() method; you have to sometimes deal with the standard
interface and sometimes with the extension interface, depending on the
method you call.

It would not change the behaviour of getBaseTableName or getTableName()
at all; it's merely a syntactic convenience.

I'm not sure what you thought I meant, but it was obviously something
different :)

-O