Re: BUG #1794: inheritance removes permissions from the parent

From: Sean Burlington <sean(at)uncertainty(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1794: inheritance removes permissions from the parent
Date: 2005-07-28 14:56:14
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-patches
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:48:35PM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:

> I think a more accurate description would be "permissions not
> inherited by children," and that isn't necessarily a bug.

I agree it may not be a bug - but it's more than the permissions not
being inherited: the parent is affected.

[snip]

> Records in the child are visible when you select from the parent,
> so it follows that you'd need permission on both tables.  If you
> want only records that are in the parent then use FROM ONLY:
>
> SELECT * FROM ONLY a;

That makes sense :-)

I was experimenting with inheritance for the first time and for me this
effect was a real suprise.

It would be handy if this was in the documentation for anyone else who
comes across this issue

Would it be possible to allow the usual select and just return the
records the user has permission for - possibly along with a warning
about the child table?

--

Sean