Re: caching table/query

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: caching table/query
Date: 2005-07-20 06:16:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

> Well i guess that there are cases where that is not so.However i
> understand that postgres does not have any way accept
> the automatic.

Largely true. There may be ways of forcing a from-memory query once the
system is in place, but I am not sure that this is always what you want,
it would not be pretty, and might have some real performance issues. My
suggestion is that you wait until your system is in operation and then
look first for general tuning help before you even consider trying to
impliment a memory-cached table in your application.

Just for the record, I can think of at least one way of hacking this on,
but it seems like it should be an absolutely last resort rather than a
first impulse.

PostgreSQL can do this, but you probably don't want it to.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Attachment Content-Type Size
chris.vcf text/x-vcard 127 bytes