Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 -

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org>,PGPerformance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Andy Hewitt <Andy_Hewitt(at)StorageTek(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 -
Date: 2005-07-18 14:31:38
Lists: pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:

>Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org> writes:
>

>>I've "vacuum_cost_delay = 10" in the conf file for 803.
>>

>Hmm, did you read this thread?
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-07/msg00088.php
>
>It's still far from clear what's going on there, but it might be
>interesting to see if turning off the vacuum delay changes your results
>with 8.0.

With the contrib autovacuum code  if you don't specify vacuum delay
settings from the command line, then autovacuum doesn't touch them.
Therefore (if you aren't specifying them from the command line), on 803,
the vacuum delay settings should be the same for a cron issued vacuum
and an autovacuum issued vacuum.  So if the vacuum delay settings are
the problem, then it should show up either way.

Matt