Re: compatibility issue

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: sarves <sharvesh(at)midascomm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compatibility issue
Date: 2005-06-27 08:49:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
sarves wrote:

> * If I use the JDBC driver(8.1dev Build 400) released with postgreSQL
> 8.0.3 to communicate with postgreSQL 7.1.3,will there be any problem?

In general we only test back to 7.2. The wire protocol is still the same
in 7.1, but things such as transaction isolation level handling and the
structure of internal database tables used by the metadata methods have
changed since 7.1. So the driver may well break depending on what you
ask it to do.

I suggest you test your actual application against 7.1 with the 8.1 driver.

> * I have the JDBC driver that was released with postgreSQL 7.1.3. If I
> use this driver(the one supplied with postgreSQL 7.1.3) for
> communicating with postgreSQL 8.0.3,will there be any problem?

We don't usually test forward compatibility of drivers at all. You can
try it, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.. Also, you're obviously missing
out on driver bugfixes since the 7.1 days (there are lots!)

You really want to move off 7.1 if you can -- it is ancient and I think
now falls into the "completely unmaintained" bucket..

-O