PostgreSQL/Tomcat JNDI Datasource Questions

From: Warren Killian <warrenk19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL/Tomcat JNDI Datasource Questions
Date: 2005-05-11 22:53:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello group,

I have several questions concerning configuring and using a JNDI DataSource
with PostgreSQL and Apache Tomcat. Currently I have
successfully configured a "basic" DataSource. Currently, my configuration
which resides in a context.xml file is as follows:

<Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
backgroundProcessorDelay="-1"
cachingAllowed="true"
charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"

configFile="/usr/local/jwsdp-1.3/conf/Catalina/localhost/test.xml"
cookies="true"
crossContext="false"
debug="0"
displayName="test"
docBase="/usr/local/jwsdp-1.3/webapps/test"
domain="Catalina"
engineName="Catalina"
j2EEApplication="none"
j2EEServer="none"
lazy="true"
managerChecksFrequency="6"
path="/test"
privileged="false"
reloadable="true"
startupTime="8"
swallowOutput="false"
tldScanTime="0"
useNaming="true"
wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper">

<Resource name="jdbc/test" scope="Shareable"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
<ResourceParams name="jdbc/test">
<parameter>
<name>factory</name>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>driverClassName</name>
<value>org.postgresql.Driver</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>url</name>
<value>jdbc:postgresql://myIP/test</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>username</name>
<value>Whoopie</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>password</name>
<value>Doopie</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>removeAbandoned</name>
<value>true</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
<value>20</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>maxWait</name>
<value>5000</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>maxActive</name>
<value>5</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>maxIdle</name>
<value>2</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>validationQuery</name>
<value>SELECT * FROM test</value>
</parameter>
</ResourceParams>
</Context>

Using the above configuration, my JSP pages can connect to PostgreSQL and
perform all required database operations.

But all is not right! I have the following issues:

1.) Connections are NEVER closed
Say I hit my JSP page which perform a query and display the results.
Using netstat I can see that one connection to PostgreSQL has been
established. But then, if I uninstall and reinstall my web app and hit my
JSP page again, then the output of "netstat -p -t" shows that a second
connection to PostgreSQL is established.
The first connection never goes away! If I continue to
uninstall/reinstall/hit JSP page, the connections continue to acrue and
never go away. The number of connections can even exceed the value of
"maxActive" defined in my context.xml file. What am I doing wrong?

2.) Idle connections aren't closed
As mentioned above, the connections which are opened by my web app are
kept around forever and never closed. In my context.xml file above, I've
defined the "removeAbandoned" parameter to true and have set the
"removeAbandonedTimeout" parameter to 20 seconds. But the connections are
never closed. Every time I run "netstat -p -t", the connections are
still there. :(

3.) Is my configuration correct for performing Pooling?
I "can" get "a" database connection using this configuration. But is this
adequate to perform connection pooling? How can I tell if/when connection
pooling is actually being performed correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you,
Warren Killian

Q: How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None. The universe spins the bulb and the Zen master stays out
of the way.