Poor-man's enumeration type

From: Keith Worthington <KeithW(at)NarrowPathInc(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Poor-man's enumeration type
Date: 2005-04-26 02:52:39
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi All,

I found this in the documentation.

    The type "char" (note the quotes) is different
    from char(1)in that it only uses one byte of
    storage. It is internally used in the system
    catalogs as a poor-man's enumeration type.

Is this a SQL standard data type?  Can I expect this type
to be supported in PostgreSQL 'forever'?  I need an enum
type and obviously this works.  At the moment I am not
faced with an imminent port but I hate to back myself into
a corner if I do not have to.

Kind Regards,

pgsql-novice by date