Locale question

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Locale question
Date: 2005-04-24 13:45:42
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I have a (hopefully simple) question regarding locale.

I am migrating a postgresql database from a server running FC1 &
PostgreSQL 7.4 to a newer machine running FC2 and PostgreSQL 8.0. I
dumped the data from the old server using pg_dumpall and restored it to
the new server with no problems, and while testing the new server
everything seems to be OK.

However, I did notice that the client and server encoding settings on
the old server are set to SQL_ASCII whereas those same settings on the
new server are set to LATIN1.

I'm wondering if I might wind up with some lurking problems since I
don't really understand all the implications of locale settings.

Thanks,

Matthew O'Connor

Details below:

On the old server