Bound column and serial datatype question

From: lothar(dot)behrens(at)lollisoft(dot)de
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bound column and serial datatype question
Date: 2005-04-19 10:52:11
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I have a table like this:

CREATE TABLE Kunden
(
ID serial NOT NULL,
CustomerNr serial NOT NULL,
Name CHAR(100),
);

Using bound columns in a form to show the customer data I don´t like to let the user
updating the CustomerNr field. This is because, a normal data field is not
autogenerated, but these 'serial' data fields.

But I like to show the CustomerNr field in the form. Therefore, I simply made the
field readonly in the form. But if I insert a new row, the fields data (defaults to 0)
would be used as the new value in the table.

How to avoid this ?

Thanks

Lothar

--