Quote Question

From: Greg Lindstrom <greg(dot)lindstrom(at)novasyshealth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Quote Question
Date: 2005-03-30 15:31:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello-
I had a query to insert values into a table where some of the entries
were empty:

INSERT INTO MYTABLE (VALUE_1, VALUE_2)
     VALUES ('Hello', '')

which worked like a champ.  I discovered some single ticks in the data I
wanted to place in the VALUE_2 field (the data is "Woman's Health") so,
since I'm using Python to drive this, I thought I could change the
single ticks in the above query to double ticks:

INSERT INTO MYTABLE (VALUE_1, VALUE_2)
     VALUES ("Hello", "")

but I now get an error complaining about a "zero length delimited
identifier".  Rats. So:

1.  What's going on above with single and double quotes?

2.  How can I insert single (and double) ticks into my data fields?

Thanks for you help,
--greg

--
Greg Lindstrom               501 975.4859 (office)
Senior Programmer            501 219-4455 (fax)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."  W.W.

Confidentiality Notice
This email and any attachments to it are privileged and confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, any use, distribution, or copying of this communication, or disclosure of all or any part of its content to any other person, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy this message and delete any copies held in your electronic files. Thank you.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: John DeSoiDate: 2005-03-30 16:22:20