Re: [GENERAL] Newbie - Pointers on moving.

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Envbop <rajib(at)envbopdotgovtdot(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Newbie - Pointers on moving.
Date: 2005-02-28 18:08:59
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
Envbop wrote:
> I have to move a pgsql database which is running on a linux box to a Windows
> 2003 server, so just started to find out about pgsql
> Not sure what version of pgsql is running on the linux box.  This a library
> application written in php?.

> Any recommendations on how to do this migration/upgrade ?

Run the new (v8.0) pg_dump on the Windows box and use it to dump the
database on the linux box (with the -h host parameter). The latest
version will probably be smarter than older versions of pg_dump.

Then use pg_restore to restore the data. If your linux database is only
a couple of years old there shouldn't be any problems. If you do have
problems, try restoring the schema then the data - that way it's easier
to identify where the problems are.

Details on the various options for these tools are in the "client
applications" section of the manuals.

   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd