Re: [GENERAL] Newbie - Pointers on moving.

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Envbop <rajib(at)envbopdotgovtdot(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Newbie - Pointers on moving.
Date: 2005-02-28 18:08:59
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
Envbop wrote:
> I have to move a pgsql database which is running on a linux box to a Windows
> 2003 server, so just started to find out about pgsql
> Not sure what version of pgsql is running on the linux box.  This a library
> application written in php?.

> Any recommendations on how to do this migration/upgrade ?

Run the new (v8.0) pg_dump on the Windows box and use it to dump the
database on the linux box (with the -h host parameter). The latest
version will probably be smarter than older versions of pg_dump.

Then use pg_restore to restore the data. If your linux database is only
a couple of years old there shouldn't be any problems. If you do have
problems, try restoring the schema then the data - that way it's easier
to identify where the problems are.

Details on the various options for these tools are in the "client
applications" section of the manuals.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd