Re: jar naming consitency

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>,Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jar naming consitency
Date: 2005-02-04 19:52:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2005 19:22 schrieb Kris Jurka:
>
>>This change was intentional to try and indicate that it is build 310 of
>>the 8.0 driver series, not something to do with the postgresql minor
>>version 310.
>
> But that would then imply that both releases are the same source, just
> different "builds", i.e., compiled on different occasions from the same
> source.

I don't see why "8.0-310" implies anything different about the source
used than "8.0.310", beyond making it clear that it is version 310 of
the 8.0-based driver. "8.0-311" and "8.0.311" are both obviously
different versions to the corresponding 310 versions. Maybe "build" is
bad terminology, but it's the terminology that the JDBC driver has been
using for some time now.

If you rebuild from the same source with different options. I'd expect
the package to tack on a package version along the lines of
postgresql-jdbc3-8.0-310-4, etc.

Do you have a better suggestion for making it clear which source is
being used? We could call it "postgresql-jdbc-stable-310" -- which is
really what it is -- but then you have the problem that it's not clear
which "stable" release you should use for a particular server version.

Personally, I'd rather just use subversion and release with a tree
revision number -- then it's very obvious exactly what source you built
from -- but I don't see that happening any time soon :)

-O