Re: pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions
Date: 2005-01-31 16:45:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Wampler wrote:

> I realize 7.2.4 is long in the tooth, but it's an old system that's been
> running for several years now. Someday we'll upgrade...
>
> However, part of the upgrade will involve dumping and restoring the
> tables. I've just did a little playing with pg_dump on one of
> the databases and discovered that I can't restore it! Is this
> a known problem? If so, is there a workaround? Is this operator
> error? If so, can someone point me to what I did wrong?
>
> I did:
> ->pg_dump -C atst.logdb | gzip >atst.logdb.out.gz
> ->dropdb atst.logdb
> DROP DATABASE
> ->gunzip <atst.logdb.out.gz | psql -q

> I see all the permission denied messages, but why? How can a user
> create a dump that they cannot load back in (the user has createdb *and*
> createuser permissions)?

To followup: operator error. That last sentence above wasn't true.
The user (me) doing the pg_dump had createdb privilege, but the
owner of the database being dumped did not. After granting *that*
user createdb privilege, the restore went fine.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, maybe this will help someone
else in the future...

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu