Re: Allow pooled connections to list all prepared queries

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Brown <dave(at)spoonguard(dot)org>,PostgreSQL Global Development Group <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Charlie Peck <charliep(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Allow pooled connections to list all prepared queries
Date: 2004-12-26 03:07:55
Lists: pgsql-patches
> The usefulness of this seems pretty dubious.  You aren't going to have a
> bunch of random bits of code sharing a connection; it's going to be a
> single application that probably knows perfectly well exactly which
> queries it needs prepared.  So I don't think the stats will pay for
> themselves.

Not true.  Personally, I was looking for something like this, before I
decided to go with stored sql procs instead.

The problem is a website that uses persistent connections.

Say we have a query that takes 350ms to get threads in a forum, and half
of that is planning time.  Any particular PHP process does not know if a
previous process has already prepared that query or not.  So I have to
prepare it every time, deal with errors, etc.

However, I now use sql stored procs as basically 'cached prepared
queries', so it's no longer a problem for me.

Chris