Re: Hardware purchase question

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware purchase question
Date: 2004-12-13 17:23:13
Lists: pgsql-performance
> However, I keep getting conflicting advice.  My choices are along
> these lines:
>
> Dual Xeon 64bit with built-in 6-disk RAID10 or RAID5 (LSI RAID card)
> Dual Opteron 64bit with built-in 6-disk RAID10 or RAID5 (LSI RAID card)
> Dual Opteron 64bit with external RAID via fibre channel (eg, nstor)

An Opteron, properly tuned with PostgreSQL will always beat a Xeon
in terms of raw cpu.

RAID 10 will typically always outperform RAID 5 with the same HD config.

Fibre channel in general will always beat a normal (especially an LSI) raid.

Dell's suck for PostgreSQL.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.