Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!

From: Thierry Missimilly <Thierry(dot)Missimilly(at)bull(dot)net>
To: grupos(at)carvalhaes(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!
Date: 2004-12-02 15:46:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Rodrigo Carvalhaes a écrit :

> Hi!
>
> I am using PostgreSQL with a proprietary ERP software in Brazil. The
> database have around 1.600 tables (each one with +/- 50 columns).
> My problem now is the time that takes to restore a dump. My customer
> database have arount 500mb (on the disk, not the dump file) and I am
> making the dump with pg_dump -Fc, my dumped file have 30mb. To make
> the dump, it's taking +/- 1,5 hours BUT to restore (using pg_restore )
> it it takes 4 - 5 hours!!!

I have notice that fac and one way to improve the restore prefomances,
is to avoid build indexes and checking the foreign key in the same step
than the restore.
So, as it is not possible to disable indexes and Foreign key, you have
to drop them and recreate them once the restore step has finished. To do
that you should have a script to recreate the indexes and the Foreign
Key afterward.