Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-11-21 21:39:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

What are you thinking about exactly ? A way to specify an external
script/command to launch or something ? Under Linux and maybe others, I
think that updaters generally do exactly the same thing, but generally
less efficiently, as the native packaging systems. Example: I love the
pear system for php but I consider that it clashes with the native
packaging tools under Debian... By using pear system you get unpackaged
files installed on your system.
And what about things partly installed (example data files not up to
date with binaries) which may break the app...

I'd be for something advertising a new version but not more. Unless we
have something really open and customisable to suits the needs of all
OSes packagers.

Regards,
Raphaël