Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-15 02:23:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 11/14/2004 2:11 AM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Quoth JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com (Jan Wieck):

>>> Yes but I believe even you would agree that their are programming
>>> languages that are better for certain tasks than others. The use of
>>> java as a replication engine for PostgreSQL seems, well... incorrect.
>>
>> Mammoth is written in C, the followup for eRServer will be C (++?) and
>> Slony is C ... I guess disagreeing would be, well ... ignorant.
>
> Sure, but I seem to recall that your Slony-I prototype was initially
> in Tcl.  There may be a Perl-based prototype of one of the new bits,
> and if bottlenecks aren't evident, I'm not convinced everything has to
> stay in C.

I am sure with the right skills one could have done Slony-I in Java and
get pretty much the same results. And note that Slony-I isn't a 100% C
solution anyway, as we use PL/pgSQL extensively - although not in any
time critical path.

The problem really is that it is rather difficult to find Java
programmers with the skillset required here. I have met a good deal of
Java "fast-thinkers", and except for one (and you know who I mean) ALL
of them are usually nice, but completely incompetent guy's who copy
binary jar's all over their projects, create classes by the dozen but
literally zero code that actually "does" something, and simply fail to
understand why the timestamp they take in their Java code has absolutely
zero to do with the serializable transaction order.

IMNSVHO Java is a nice language for GUIs and maybe some WEB stuff ...
and that's it.

Jan