Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-14 19:05:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Christopher Browne wrote:
> I'd expect a C++-based system to fall somewhere in between.  Between
> exception handling, templates, and such, C++ adds a bit of "gratuitous
> bloat," but not quite so much as in Java.  (Unless you use STL Way
> Lots, but that's another story :-).)

The only think that STL bloat is the "code" and not always ( like all
templates ). Having say that I largelly accept a code bloath of few
hundreads bytes instead of reinvent the well each time you need a list,
or you shall implement a sort. I'm sad to see however people talking
or writing about C++ performances or memory requirements without even
have write a single line of C++ code. Alway in situation like this
I to read a couple of book or article about templates:

"Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied "

and most of all the capabilities of this library:

http://boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/multi_index/doc/index.html

May be I had an over reaction ( excuse me ) but this week is not the
first ( also out of this list ) talking against C++.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola