Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-12 22:44:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
Honestly?  It's either the too many cooks problem, or the poor
coordination, or the lack of a clear leader/decision maker.  It's hard
for people who are not already involved intimately to get involved.
It's hard to get other ideas floated without getting them shot down by
one or two people, which seems to be the overall process killer in
anything -www related.  It's hard to feel like people are working in the
same direction when for language reasons or otherwise discussions turn
derogatory, rude, and down right ugly.

I keep trying to stick my nose in to things because, at least people
know who I am, and while not everyone agrees with me, I can at least try
and do what I think we are all trying to do and that is make the best
site for PostgreSQL which will impress people and be the valuable
resource the existing site already is.

There is a lot of history in the way things are done.  People new to the
project and people who weren't involved in the decisions made years ago
about having sites like advocacy., developers., etc often feel out of
the loop when they try and influence change.

We have many capable designers, developers, and webmasters here.  We
need to find a way to work together and realize we're all ultimately
working for the same goal.  Egos need to be put aside, and work needs to
get done.

If I felt like there was a way to help get the site done that I could
truly contribute to, other than offering opinions on direction and what
not, I would be there doing it.

Gavin