Re: Sorting street addresses

From: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Richard Poole <rp(at)guests(dot)deus(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sorting street addresses
Date: 2004-10-29 01:18:33
Lists: pgsql-general

How will that work when people reside at
123A Some St.

Address that need to be sorted and/or grouped in any way should be
stored as multiple fields.

door number
door number suffix Most often a letter
street name prefix Section
street name
street name suffix Direcetion
street type St, Cr, Rd etc
subdivision type Unit, Apt, Office etc
subdivision Alphanumeric
City
State
Postal Code

Reformating street address for address correction and for the purpose of
distribution and/or statistics is a pain.

Try these:

105-1234 N 13th St E NY
1234 N 13th E St apt 105
1234 North 13th St East apt 105 New-York
#105 1234 N Thirteenth St E NY

You get my drift... and I did not try appartment letter.

JLL