Re: postmaster stopps

From: Ashley Maher <ashley(dot)maher(at)didymodesigns(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster stopps
Date: 2004-10-19 03:14:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:

>When you've got some evidence to look at, we'll be glad to help you
>interpret it, but there's no point in speculating without evidence.

Thanks Tom,

My original post stated I'd had the postmaster stop without explanation.
I now have log files. I can see nothing in messaegs or syslog of interest.

I start postgresql with the script by Ryan Kirkpatrick (basis used by
the BSD script from the postgresql site). This logs to
/usr/local/pgsql/data/serverlog.

this is an extract:

LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
FATAL:  lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists
HINT:  Is another postmaster (PID 1427) running in data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"?
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-09-13 11:29:44 EST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/16982C0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/16982C0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 37412; next OID: 54829
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/1698300
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready

As you can see I tried to restart the postmaster before removing the pid
file. There is alot of the "unexpected EOF on client connection". I've
done a search for the cause of this error without much success, in the
hope it is the reason the postmaster dies. Is this a hint to my problem?
As I said I've "googled" but not gotten very far.

Regards,

Ashley