Re: XP install problems

From: Arcadius Ahouansou <arcadius(at)centrum(dot)cz>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XP install problems
Date: 2004-09-21 14:09:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>>The log files, in postgresql/8.0-beta2-dev3/data/pg_log
>>
>>report a great
>>
>>>many errors (incomplete startup packet etc) with the common
>>
>>line 'an
>>
>>>operation was attempted on something that is not a socket'
>>
>>When I see that error in the Windows XP DHCP client, I can
>>usually fix it by resetting the TCP/IP stack to its initial
>>state using "netsh interface ip reset > rest.log". YMMV, else
>>see the MS Knowledgebase for that error.
>

> Also see FAQ item 3.2 at
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html.

Hello!
I had this same error last week, and I have been pointed to that FAQ.

True that it's mentioned as a problem related to a bug in windows, but,
I have just installed other RDBMS (Oracle and FireBirdSQL) on my
machine, and they run quite fine.

My guess is that there should be a workaround so that the user won't
have to experiment with this frustrating bug.

Thanks.

Arcadius.