Re: Multicolumn Primary Key

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "Thomas F(dot)O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multicolumn Primary Key
Date: 2004-08-31 22:49:52
Lists: pgsql-general
Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> Otherwise, have you VACUUM ANALYZEd recently?
>
> Argh! That seems to have been it. I have pg_autovacuum running, so it
> didn't occur to me.

pg_autovacuum only knows about table activity that has taken place while
it's running.  Example:  Table A has an analyze threshold of 1000, if
you perform 999 updates on table A, then kill and restart pg_autovacuum,
you will have to perform another 1000 updates before pg_autovacuum
performs an ANALYZE.  This is a large limitation of the current
implementation.

I tried to fix this for 8.0, but my autovacuum improvements didn't make
the cut.

Matthew