Benchmark Results For Postgresql, Mysql, Firebird

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Benchmark Results For Postgresql, Mysql, Firebird
Date: 2004-08-25 05:32:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dear list,

I have posted some sample results for the simple benchmark project
(http://benchw.sourceforge.net) that I maintain.

I have not made much of this on the page concerned
(http://benchw.sourceforge.net/benchw_results_open3.html), but Postgres
pretty much hammers the competition for load, index and query. What is
quite interesting is that the queries are *all* GROUP BY aggregations -
not usually regarded as Pg's strongest area - and here it is doing very
well at them.

As the project maintainer I don't really want to make a whole lot of
noise about it, but I thought the Advocacy folks might find it useful to
know of a benchmark where Pg significantly outperforms Mysql (grin).

regards

Mark