Re: postmaster.pid

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, Max Dunn <mdunn(at)xythos(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postmaster.pid
Date: 2004-08-24 14:05:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I think we're on the wrong track here. If there is a pid file then the
postmaster will try to see if the process is running by calling
kill(pid,0) - see backend/utils/init/miscinit.c.

However, on Windows we simulate kill(), and always return EINVAL if the
signal <= 0 (see port/kill.c). ISTM the correct solution would be to
implement the effect of kill(pid,0) in port/kill.c, presumably by a call
to some native Windows function that gives you the process info for a
given pid.

cheers

andrew