Re: Admin functions contrib

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Admin functions contrib
Date: 2004-07-31 11:08:06
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
>>>Do people want the server file logging/rotating patch applied if it is
>>>Unix-only?  Right now the patch is ifdef'ed so Win32 use of it is
>>>disabled.
>

> I'm slightly worried that we might be painting ourselves into a corner,
> ie implementing functionality that will never work on Windows.
>
> Personally, of course, I won't care if it never works on Windows.  But
> I suspect there are some out there who do care ;-).  It might be better
> to wait till we're sure there's a reasonable implementation path for
> Windows.

Actually, I believe the implementation I did first (having all processes
append to the logfile themselves) would have worked for win32 too.
As long as you don't impose linux-centric limitations on win32
implementations, there certainly *are* solutions to the problem.

A very reasonable way would be to have the win32_signal_waiter thread
not only wait for the child terminating, but also checking the pipe.
This is certainly *the* recommended win32 way.

Regards,
Andreas