win32 pgsql not installable

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-27 22:54:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

I know I'm going to go on some people's nerves, but it's necessary.

With the current "run-as-non-admin" restriction the windows installer
doesn't work, and it will probably be ridiculously difficult to make it
work unless this restriction is redesigned.

I don't see any point in restricting postgres.exe (i.e. the single user
non-communicating version) to non-superusers. Installations are usually
executed with admin privileges (non-admins won't be able to create
services), and currently it fails to initialize the cluster with that
d***d message. Consequently, it rolls back the complete installation
leaving me at point zero.

If I was an average win32 user testing pgsql, this would be the end of
my attempt to install it.

Regards,
Andreas