Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant
Date: 2004-07-12 21:07:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> Per my own email?  Huh?  I'm against changing something that we've worked
>
>> 4 years on branding into ppl minds ...

Marc said:

If you are distributing Slony brochures, use the Slony elephant ... we
have an official logo, that is used *everywhere* ... in marketing, I
believe its called 'branding a product', and slipping in a different
logo, IMHO, only breeds a sense of confusion and incohesiveness as far
as the project is concerned ...

PostgreSQL Elephant != Slony Elephant != Mammoth Elephant

They are all different logos, for different products, and should be used
to advertise their respective products, not a different one altogether ...

That says to me that you don't want confusion between products,
commercial entities etc... with the community.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake