Re: win32 port

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "zuhans(at)iname(dot)com" <zuhans(at)iname(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 port
Date: 2004-07-12 11:29:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers-win32

Hallo Hans,

zuhans(at)iname(dot)com wrote:

> ...i have little experience in linux and i work on windows.

I don't know the current state of the Windows port (PG 7.5) but as I
understood it currently won't run as service at all.
For getting a service you need to go with cygwin ...

I didn't test it, but at least since Windows 2000 there is a command
"runas" that can RUN programs AS other users.
You can use it even with the desktop, when you hold SHIFT and
right-click a program.

> ...and - as far as i can see - to handle users is a young and not easy
> to use feature in most windows-systems.

"young" as in it's teens ;)
Windows NT => 2000 => XP => ... had user-accounts for years and the
access rights are nicely configurable.

You can even take away Administrator's rights to access directories or
files, though in most cases he can set it back himself.
This way you can prevent accidentally erasing stuff.