Re: Two Flyers

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two Flyers
Date: 2004-07-10 04:44:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 7/8/2004 7:12 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, we don't need an "official" logo, just an "official for OSCON
>> 2004 logo".
>>
>> BTW, does anyone know the history of how PHP came to use an elephant?
>
> I don't know, but I do know we've been using the elephant for almost a
> decade now ... we started with the 'elephant in crystal' that I believe
> Jan created, which was fantastic electronically, but didn't print very
> well, so it morphed into the cartoon one we now use ...

At that time we had to chose between Crocodile (because PG was
considered the last dinosaur that survived), Elephant and I was playing
with a raytraced diamond. As a compromise I "suggested" the Elephant
inside the diamond, and somehow that prototype ended up on the website -
sure it didn't print well, it was just way to fuzzy and bad in contrast.

BTW, that image on the website had "slonik" as filename or "alt" text,
don't remember exactly. Back then I wondered what that means.

Jan